Monday, November 10, 2014

When The Passion Leaves...

                It's been a while since I've last written here, and there are a few reasons behind that, but with me being pretty sick this weekend and not wanting to get out of bed I figured that today is a good day to write.
                
One of the reasons why I haven't written in quite a long time is because I have lost the full passion that I have had for the game (it's slowly coming back though). There are a few personal reasons why my passion has dwindled but I won't get into that. I have always said to myself though that when the game no longer becomes fun it's time to step away. Today I want to write a quick blog on this topic in regards to both players and coaches when it comes to the passion being gone.
               
  A couple of seasons ago I had a player's mother chat with me where she tried to help me convince her then 9 year old to stick with playing soccer after she had decided she wanted to participate in other activities. I think I may have caught her a little off guard when I said I can't do that. My reasoning/thought process behind that statement comes from my personal belief that if a player isn't interested in participating in a certain activity, there's really no point in forcing the individual to stick around, especially when the players are at a young age. When players are at a young age they are still trying to figure themselves out as people and to try and typecast into one sport for the rest of their lives (if it isn't their choice) is a bit foolish in my opinion, and they should be able to try to find the activity that brings them the most happiness. I'm a firm believer that kids should be provided with as many opportunities to find themselves while growing up.
                
From a coaching stand point, it's not fair to the coach, or to other teammates when one of their teammates has no interest in being there. They often become a distraction to the rest of the group as they have little interest and they could be potentially be taking the place of another individual who may not be as skilled, but has the eagerness to learn. I know personally as a coach I'd prefer to work with a player who is less skilled but is wanting to get better at any cost in comparison to a player who may be a bit more skilled but has little interest in being there.
                
I would like to point out that while you were reading this article, I wasn't talking about players giving up the sport because they're going through a difficult patch (team isn't winning as much, not having as much fun in their current environment), but I'm talking about the individuals that truly don't have interest in participating in the sport any more. This also goes for coaches as well, because if they're not interested then they are doing a complete disservice to their players.
                
As I said I'm not feeling too well so I'm going to be wrapping this one up now.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment